Sunday, November 14, 2010

PART 1: Do You Know How to Carve a Turkey? Here's How....

I'll admit it, I have no idea how to carve a turkey. When I have hosted Thanksgiving in the past, my Dad usually takes over and won't even let me take it out of the oven when it's ready.


If I did have to carve it on my own, I just know it wouldn't come out looking like this:


Doesn't it look like pure perfection? Of course, it's from the folks at Martha Stewart.  They even have a great How to Carve a Turkey Guide (of course they do!).  Next time I host Thanksgiving, I will definitely be referencing this. 

Here are the step's from Martha's website:

Step 1: Preparation

Before carving the turkey, let it stand at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes to allow the juices to saturate the meat; then transfer the turkey from the roasting pan or presentation platter to a carving board (use layers of paper towels or two clean kitchen towels to protect your hands from the heat). The best way to hold the turkey steady is to use your hand -- a carving fork doesn't provide the same grip and will pierce and tear the flesh.

Next, cut through the trussing with scissors, taking care to remove all of the string.

Step 2: Remove Drumsticks



Remove the drumsticks first. Place the knife against the thigh, and cut down to expose the leg's second joint.

Step 3: Sever Drumsticks

Apply pressure at the joint with the knifepoint; twist the knife, and cut through to sever the drumstick. Repeat with the other drumstick.

Step 4: Slice Neck Cavity

This part kinda freaks me out! This is where Dad would come in handy!!

Slice open the neck cavity with an oval incision that allows you to remove the stuffing while leaving the skin intact.


Step 5: Scoop Stuffing

Use a long-handled spoon to scoop out the stuffing from the body cavity; transfer it to a serving bowl.





Final steps coming tomorrow! Stay Tuned. Thanks Martha Stewart!


0 comments: